Thursday, December 4, 2008

Growing Concern

Tuesday I took Bean to the pediatrician.  He had a clean bill of health and had even gained an ounce from the day before, at 5 lbs 8 oz.  Bean was slightly jaundiced, but not bad, and the pediatrician wasn't at all concerned.  He advised frequently nursing Bean to bring up his weight, but that was my plan anyways.  

Wednesday Bean started getting sleepy.  In the wee hours of Wednesday morning he slept for five hours straight.  I woke up with a start when I realized he hadn't roused eat yet.  Unprecedented for one of our newborns, but still within normal for a newborn to have one longer stretch of rest.  Still, I felt he was too small to do that just yet, so I'd wake him if necessary to eat.  During the day he continued to act sleepy, but he would agreeably wake to nurse and would nurse through a milk letdown.  He also made plenty of diapers... especially wet ones.  I figured he was okay, but I'd stay in bed with him that day to ensure that he got the calories he needed. 

The midwife called, I assured her that we were fine and my mother would be flying into town later that evening.  She decided to go ahead with her trip plans and asked me to weigh him either at the post office or the doctors office sometime later that week.  

He was such a tiny baby, and he felt so light and fragile in my arms.  

No comments: